This course is designed to provide information on the advances in technology that have served to revolutionize the delivery of telepsychiatry and telemental/behavioral health services through virtual care options. The proliferation of smartphones, tablets, computers, coupled with broadband expansion, and favorable changes in public policy have led to transformations in the delivery of behavioral health services. Virtual modalities lend themselves well to behavioral health settings in which providers do not need to perform a hands-on physical examination.
- To support workforce shortages, geographic maldistribution of providers, and consumer demand for convenient options for timely mental and behavioral health diagnosis and treatment.
- To meet the increased need that the COVID-19 pandemic has added to an already overextended mental and behavioral health system through access to virtual behavioral health options.
- To adopt and integrate telehealth technology to support healthcare professionals in their ability to meet the needs of those needing mental or behavioral health services through locally and regionally delivered care.
- To improve access to telemental and telepsychiatric specialty expertise for patients and providers
- To provide timely and needed access to specialty appointments and coordinated care by specialists.
- To offer educational resources to referring providers.
After completing this activity, the participant should be better able to:
- Understand the need for telemental health services
- Define essential terminology related to the delivery of telemental health services
- Understand the different models of telemental health
- Discuss the trends in telemental health
- Discuss diagnostic techniques and approaches for managing mental health conditions using telehealth technology and their benefits
- Define policies that have shaped the landscape of telehealth in the delivery of mental healthcare
- Discuss standards and guidelines specific to implementing telehealth for mental health conditions
- Discuss the benefits of using telehealth technology for mental health conditions
Peter Yellowlees, M.B.B.S., M.D.
Jann Balmer, BSN, PhD
Kathleen Bunch Meneses, MS
Karen Rheuban, MD
*Purchase grants one learner one year’s access to lessons and quizzes (access expires 365 days from date of course activation.)